Monday, October 1, 2012

Not all those who wander are lost

Wanderlust. It's a rather beautiful term. I identify it with a whirl of colours, which seamlessly blend into a gypsy's skirt. I've always felt like travelling might be the answer to all of life's problems. After all, if you run far enough, you should be able to escape from whatever ties you down, right? Naturally, this sort of escapist thinking is about as naive as it gets, something I'm beginning to realise only now, after Nikita rather philosophically remarked to me that the hills will not provide any reprieve unless I am mentally sorted.

The title of this blog is part of a quote from Tolkien. I'd like to believe that that man had all the answers. Unfortunately, however, I find myself questioning this particular line of thought. Every journey, to my mind, is the search for meaning. People might argue and attribute things like holidays to a need for recharging batteries and whatnot. Though I feel like even this necessary "recharge" arises out of a need to find something that we may not even realise was missing. And no, it doesn't have to be a great, soul-searching, inspirational sort of self discovery. It can be as simple as finding a truly amazing pair of shoes after a hard fought bargain in some back corner of the back-of-beyond flea market in some unnamed holiday destination. Conversely, it may not be quite so trivial, and you might find yourself recovering a piece of you that you'd forgotten even existed.

Whatever the case may be, the point I'm trying to make is that anybody who wanders IS lost. Maybe not lost in an existential manner of speaking, or even literally. But don't get me wrong, wandering does not imply aimlessness. Not even for a second would I suggest something so high-handed. It's just that I feel like you cannot truly embark on any journey, without subconsciously searching for something. To imply otherwise would mean that we are truly fulfilled human beings who have reached our full potential of Jungian self actualisation. And God knows that's a crock. Because if you'd really reached that kind of happy place, would you seriously be sitting and reading my ramblings? Jussayin'
:P

No comments: